Thursday, October 18, 2012

Unity




“How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!” Psalm 133:1


Beloved,

There are many things and events that bring people together. Typically, our culture is unified around common interests such as sports, music or hobbies. It is extremely exciting when a stadium full of people joyfully shout in unison for touchdown or goal. It is good and pleasant when people are unified. There is something that just feels right about unity. If our world can understand unity in athletic contests, how much more should God’s people understand unity as we live together as the church?

The psalm says how good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity. God is pleased when there is unity and harmony in the Body of Christ. He cares about our unity. Listen to the prayer of our Lord:

20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

God wants his people to be unified in Him. He wants us to experience how good and pleasant it is when we are unified. But he also wants us to be unified so that the world may believe in Jesus Christ. Read the above passage again. Our unity is not an option. One of the gifts that the Lord has given his church for unity is the Lord’s Supper. Prepare your hearts through careful examination this week as we come to celebrate our unity in Christ through communion this Sunday.

Beloved, how good and pleasant it is when we live together in unity!!

In Christ,

Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment