Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Never Fail to Fight

Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches. Galatians 6:6

Beloved,

I often fail at the plans I make. I have so many things that I want to do and so many things that I want to be, but too often I get in the way of my goals. Whether it is my sinful heart, my laziness, my business, or my lack of focus, I too often fail to do what I want to do. In those moments of failure, it is a temptation to throw up my hands and say, “What is the point? Why do I even try?” We have to fight those moments of temptation.

I often fail in catechizing my children. I want to teach them the deep truths of God and ground them in the

God calls parents to teach their children. Parents are to raise their children in the discipline and the instruction of the Lord. The Greek word used in Galatians 6:6 above is the word katecheo which is where we get the word, catechism. The calling to teach is not limited to parents, but all believers. We teach and we are taught. This is how our faith continues from one generation to another.

I know the value of catechism. I believe in it. I know its historical and biblical roots and yet, I am not good it. I fail in making it a priority, but I am not going to give up on it. I am going to continue to fight in systematically instructing my children in the great doctrines of the faith. As I forget what is behind and press on towards what is ahead to the upward call of God in Christ Jesus and continue to strive to catechize my children, I pray you join me in this fight.

Parents we may fail, but let us never fail to try. Do not give up on catechism. If you haven’t started yet, join the journey with me to fight for the next generation in instilling deep truths in our children. I may continue to fail, but I will continue to fight. Failing and fighting is life in a fallen world. We fail, but we continue to fight the good fight of faith. We may fail, but let us never fail to fight.  
historic doctrines of the Christian faith. I set goals and set to work a plan, then life gets in the way and everything stops. We fall behind in our catechism and I am tempted to say, “What is the point? We should just stop trying!!” But we can’t stop trying. We can’t give up on teaching our children. We can’t give up on systematically training the next generation in the faith.

(Find a Catechism here)

No comments:

Post a Comment