Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Do you have a Dysfunctional Theology?


Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7


Sometimes the most basic truths are the hardest to implement in life. I love theology. I love to read great Christian thinkers. I love to wrestle with complex theological arguments. I love to engage with opposing perspectives so that I can better understand and articulate my own convictions.

In recent years there has been dramatic increase in the interest of theology in the evangelical world. Christians are starting to care about theology and develop deep convictions from the Word of God. It is very encouraging to see so many people grow in their desire to attain biblical knowledge. Although this trend is very encouraging, it often appears that a growth in theological convictions does not overflow in love for God, His people, or the lost. 1 John 4:7,"Let us love one another."

If your theology does not cause you to love God and His people, then you have a dysfunctional theology. Love is from God and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. We need to always remember that knowledge puffs up, but wisdom builds up. As our vertical knowledge grows in God, so should our horizontal love grow towards God’s people!! We should always remember Paul’s word about the importance of love in the local church:

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2-3)

Let us care deeply about theology. Let us study and pursue a deeper knowledge of God. Let us engage in theological debate. And let all that pursuit show itself in a deep, sacrificial love for God, His people and His world. Do not have dysfunctional theology.  Good theology will always show itself in love!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment