Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Survey the Wondrous Cross


“But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” Galatians 6:14

Dear Beloved,

As I sit and write this at my desk, my heart is swelling with love and my eyes are filled with tears.  Words are sometimes inadequate to express the emotions of one’s soul.  God has been so kind to us in sending His Son to bear the cross.  All of our burdens and sin were gladly taken by our gracious and merciful Redeemer. We are crucified with Christ; He now lives in and through us.  Our lives are not intertwined with the life of Jesus Christ.  The life we now live, we live by faith in the Son of God who loved us and gave himself for us.
Our boast should be in nothing, but in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Isaac Watts penned one of the greatest hymns the English world has ever sung, originally entitled, “Crucifixion to the World, by the Cross of Christ.”

When I survey, the wondrous cross, On which the Prince of glory died, My richest gain I count but loss, And pour contempt on all my pride.
Forbid it Lord, that I should boast, Save in the death of Christ my God; All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood.
See from his head, his hands his feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down; Did e’er such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown.
Were the whole realm of nature mine, That were a present far too small, Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul my life, my all.

“When I Survey the Wondrous Cross,” has blessed the church for over 300 years.  The song is timeless.  It is timeless because something happens to the souls of man when we gaze upon the cross of Calvary.  The cross, rightly understand, changes everything.  It changes our desires.  It changes our boasts. It changes our relationships.  It changes how we spend money. It changes how much money we want. It changes our view of our circumstances. It changes our speech. It changes our families. It changes our hobbies. It changes our purpose. It changes our future. It changes everything.

When was the last time that you truly surveyed the Wondrous Cross?  When was the last time you turned off the T.V. and cell phones to reflect about the death of Jesus?  When was the last time you the power of the Cross changed you?

Life can become so busy and church can become such a routine so we must take time to slow down and survey the Wondrous Cross.  Beloved, do not let this world hinder you this Holy Week from rejoicing in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Take time to survey the cross for it will change everything.
Rejoicing in the Cross,

Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment