Thursday, August 1, 2013

Contentment in Christ



Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him (Christ) who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13, ESV)

Beloved,

As you look around our nation, there appears to be a sense of discontentment among the people. Discontentment is defined as the state of feeling dissatisfied with what one is or what one has. The world seems to be discontent in their craving after more and more trying to fill the void of their happiness. Unfortunately, discontentment often does not end with the world, but can also be seen in believers in Jesus Christ. Now there should be certain degree of discontentment among every believer. All believers should strive to want more knowledge and wisdom from God. All believers should strive to grow in the love for
God and His people. All believers should strive to see more and more people come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. But should believers feel dissatisfied with what one is or what one has? No, we should be satisfied, for we have Christ!!

The Apostle Paul writes that he has learned to be content or satisfied in every situation. He has learned, from times of plenty and times of want, the secret of being content. The secret Paul learned that is in Christ he has everything that he needs for life. He can do all things through Christ who strengthens him. The secret for Paul and us is that we can do all things through Christ. If we have Christ, we have all that we need. Listen to how the writer of Hebrews explains this idea in chapter 13:5, “Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” We should be content with what we have because God will never leave or forsake those who are in Christ. We are not our own, but have been bought through the blood of Christ.

Beloved, do not feel dissatisfied with what you are or what you have. You are a child of God wrapped in the righteous robes of Christ. In Christ you are: forgiven, blameless, righteous, pure, holy, cleansed, and justified. Christian, when you feel that you do not measure up and are dissatisfied with what you are remember who you are in Christ. We do not boast in ourselves, but in our weakness for God’s grace is sufficient and His power is made perfect in my weakness. So together with the Apostle Paul we can say, “I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me” (2 Cor 12:9).

Learn the secret of contentment. You can do all things through Christ who strengthen you for Christ can do all things. If you have Christ, you have all that you need!!! Read the words below from a song, “All I have is Christ.” Take time this week to meditate on what we have in Christ. (Click link below to hear song)

All I Have is Christ

I once was lost in darkest night / Yet thought I knew the way. / The sin that promised joy and life / Had led me to the grave. / I had no hope that You would own / A rebel to Your will. / And if You had not loved me first / I would refuse You still.

But as I ran my hell-bound race / Indifferent to the cost / You looked upon my helpless state /And led me to the cross. /And I beheld God’s love displayed /You suffered in my place / You bore the wrath reserved for me / Now all I know is grace. 

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ /Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone / And live so all might see / The strength to follow Your commands /Could never come from me. / Oh Father, use my ransomed life / In any way You choose. / And let my song forever be /My only boast is You

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ /Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

In Christ,



Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment